Mike Vest, Phil Fisher
About Our Class:
Previously this class was simply referred to as the Young Marrieds Class. Over the past few years however our class has changed somewhat. The class originally started with only 6 members, three young married couples. Since then we have grown into a diverse group of people with diverse backgrounds. We are now averaging about 15 in regular attendance.
As our class changed we came to realize that the title “Young Marrieds” projected a very narrow focus and no longer fit who we were as a class. We are dating couples, married couples within the first years of marriage, and all the way up to more experienced married couples with 20 years behind them. The children of our members range from newborns to children who have graduated college and have begun families of their own. So the limiting title, Young Marrieds, was changed to one that seemed to be more fitting of who we are, The Salt & Light class.
The name comes from Mathew 5:13-16. Here, in the Bible, Jesus teaches his disciples that as followers of Christ they are called to be the Salt of the earth, and Lights of the world. Salt, a substance used to make things more flavorful, to promote thirst, and also to preserve. Light, used to expose things that are in the dark, to emit warmth, and to help guide the way. Just as Jesus’ disciples were called in their day, so are when in this day to be Salt & Light.
Our Mission Statement:
Our class will glorify God in all the things we do. (I Corinthians 10:31)
- The class will learn more about God’s plan for their lives. (Matthew. 22:29 & II Timothy. 3:14-17)
- The class will apply their knowledge in an ever-expanding manner. (I Corinthians 3:13 & James 2:14-26)
- Our families will reflect a positive scriptural knowledge in how they live. (I Timothy 3:1-13)
- Our class will play an important part in helping people see the need to play a vital role in our church life. (Hebrews 10:24-25)
- We will point to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as the only beginning point for success and fulfillment. (I Corinthians 3:8-15)
- Our class will develop and apply leadership skills in church, home, and community. (Matthew 5:13-16)
- We will build Godly relationships within our church, home and community. (Romans 13:8-10 & Acts 2:42-47)
- Our class will seek effective, fervent, righteous scheduled and unscheduled communication with God. (James 5:13-18)
Although we have grown significantly since our beginnings we still have plenty of room for more. If you are not regularly attending a Sunday school class of your own, we would love for you to come and join us. Our small group studies are great for learning about God, studying the Bible, growing close with others, and so much more. Please come and share with us, we welcome you whole-heartedly.